I can’t stop myself everytime I see a nice pack of pea sprouts sitting in the grocery’s refrigerated section. I just can’t pass them up. Pea sprouts are a little more fibrous than regular mung bean sprouts (nga choy or taugeh) but I like that it’s hardier and slightly more pungent. Unlike mung bean sprouts, while it’s also really juicy, it has more texture and bite so it fills us up well.
I was going to keep this really really simple by frying this with garlic alone but that seemed a little boring. So I decided to up it a little with:
Pea Sprouts, Carrot, Ginger, Salted Fish, Garlic, Sambal, Fish Sauce, Oyster Sauce & Vegetable Oil
Just as the sprouts start wilting slightly, I dished it up and scattered the reserved salted fish over top. We don’t want the sprouts to lose too much water and become stringy. This is just to warm them through. Just then, lightning streaked across the sky and entire house went dark.
I wish I could add more to the suspense to the rainy story but really, it was all a build up to this. The very moment I clicked my camera, the light went off. The powerbox tripped. We flicked the power switch on and all was well again. Sorry for the lack of a better ending.
At least we had a perfect dish of pea sprouts waiting for us. The slight spice from the sambal and ginger made it a perfect dish to have on a stormy evening.
“When He made a decree for the rain, and a way for the lightning of the thunder: Then did He see it, and declare it; He prepared it, yea, and searched it out.” (Job 28:26-27)
Pea Sprouts with Salted Fish
200gms (1/2 lbs) Pea Sprouts, rinsed
1 small Carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 inch Salted Fish (ikan masin kurau or salted threadfin), sliced thinly
4 slices Ginger
1 clove Garlic, minced
1 tbsp Sambal (or hot sauce)
1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
1 tsp Fish Sauce
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- In a pan on MEDIUM HIGH heat, fry salted fish slices until browned and crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Fry ginger slices in the same pan until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add carrot and garlic. Sauté until carrot has softened slightly.
- Pour in sambal, oyster sauce and fish sauce and mix everything well.
- Scatter in pea sprouts. Stir to mix thoroughly, 1 minute. Pea sprouts would have wilted slightly.
- Dish out immediately and sprinkle on crispy salted fish bits.